The City of Berkley is one of 12 SOCRRA communities that include Beverly Hills, Birmingham, Clawson, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Huntington Woods, Lathrup Village, Oak Park, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak, and Troy.
SOCRRA, a municipal corporation, was founded in the early '50s and serves a total population of approximately 283,000. This arrangement allows the member cities to receive trash hauling services in a cost-effective manner. Tringali Sanitation is one of the contractors that provide trash hauling and recycling pick up services for SOCRRA, including the City of Berkley.
The trash pickup schedule/boundaries for the City of Berkley is as follows:
- Tuesday - 11 Mile to 12 Mile, between Coolidge & Woodward
- Friday - 11 Mile to Webster, between Greenfield & Coolidge
Click here to view trash pickup map
Need a Trash Bin?
96-gallon trash toters can be purchased from DPW for $70 each. These are wheeled cans with attached lids that are dumped mechanically by the City trash hauler. Please contact us at 248-658-3490 for more details.
COVID-19 UPDATE NOTICE
While many government services have been altered or postponed to prevent the spread of Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19), sanitation workers throughout Southeast Michigan continue to provide waste and recycling services. Keep them safe by following these tips:
- Bag and securely tie all trash, including latex gloves and sanitizing wipes (never flush them!).
- Empty all food and liquids from containers before recycling.
- Keep recyclables loose when placing them in carts or bins.
- Disinfect handles and lids on recycling and trash containers before and after collection.
Thank you for your help in supporting and protecting residents and public servants.
Holiday Pickup Schedule
When a holiday falls on a weekday, the trash collection will be delayed by one day for the remainder of the week. For example, if a holiday falls on a Tuesday, trash will be collected on Wednesday. The schedule is not affected when a holiday occurs on a weekend. Affected holidays include:
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- Independence Day
Please explore the FAQs below for more information on trash collection in Berkley
General Information on Trash Collection
The City provides for solid waste pick-up only. Liquid waste in any form cannot be placed at the curb for pick-up. If you have any questions, please contact our office.
- All garbage must be placed in 20-35 gallon containers with handles or in plastic garbage bags, and shall not weigh more than fifty (50) pounds. 90 gal curb carts are acceptable as these are emptied by the truck, not manually. Cardboard boxes are not acceptable garbage containers, and will not be picked up.
- All cardboard should be flattened or cut and placed (not wedged) inside your recycle bin. Garbage stored more than 24 hours outside must be in a container with a tight fitting lid! DPW sells 90 gallon garbage toters.
- All garbage must be placed at the curb by 7:00 AM the day of pick up.
Appliances & Furniture
Items such as refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, hot water tanks, sofas, mattresses, grills, bikes and other household furniture are picked up on the regular trash day. DOORS MUST BE REMOVED FROM REFRIGERATORS AND FREEZERS.
Televisions, radios, cell phones, VCRs, CD players, home computers and other small electrical items are now recyclable and can be taken to SOCRRA. If you see someone other than Tringali removing these items please call Public Safety at 248.658.3380.
Carpeting and padding must be cut to three (3) feet in width, rolled, and tied or taped in bundles weighing less than fifty (50) pounds.
Items that are NOT permitted for pickup in Berkley
Automobile Parts: Automobile parts, frames, bodies, should be taken to a scrap metal yard. Automobile batteries should be left at the place of purchase or can be disposed of at many car care facilities.
Concrete & Bricks: The contractor should remove these items. They may also be taken to the Concrete Crusher 586.939.6200.
Dirt, Sand, Construction Refuse & Roofing: These items are the responsibility of the contractor. They may be taken to SOCRRA for a fee 248.288.5150.
Tires: These must be taken to a tire business or car care facility to be disposed of for a small fee.
Oil Based Paint, Flammable Liquids & Household Hazardous Waste: These items must be taken to SOCRRA (995 Coolidge, Royal Oak). Empty latex paint cans may be disposed of in the recycle bin or the regular trash, if lids are removed. If paint is hard it may be placed next to the trash with the lid removed. To help dry latex paints, use sand, kitty litter, shredded paper or a product called Dry up.
Medical Waste: Waste should be taken to a hospital or doctor’s office for disposal. Syringes may be placed in a metal coffee can or heavy plastic can and taken to S.O.C.R.R.A. Household Hazardous Waste.