We provide a very comprehensive fall leaf pick up program. Beginning October 1 through December 1 leaves may be either put out in a properly marked can or paper yard waste bag at no charge, or raked in to windrows at the curb.
For those who prefer to rake your leaves to the curb, our trucks are constantly on the road picking up leaves. This method allows more frequent pick-up than a specific schedule would provide.
When raking leaves, please be sure to rake leaves, grass, shrub clippings, small sticks and flower waste into the street, as close as possible to the curb. Rocks or other debris are not allowed!
October: Leaves and grass only please.
November: All yard waste allowed.
May through September
Leaves and other yard waste (grass, vines, shrubs and small sticks) must be picked up as compost and placed in a can or a paper yard waste bag not weighing more than 50 pounds with a compost sticker.
Compost stickers may be purchased at the DPW office (3238 Bacon Street), Berkley Library, and City Hall.
Spring Clean Up
Free Spring Clean Up. First week of April through the second week of May.
- will be picked up on your regular trash day only
- is not picked up with the regular trash; it is picked up by a separate truck.
- must be placed at the curb by 7:00 am
- will be picked up in regulation garbage cans (50 lb. limit) with “compost” on the side or in special 30-gallon brown paper bags designed for yard waste. Paper yard waste bags can be purchased at most hardware stores; the City does not sell them.
- may not be placed in regular garbage bags or clear plastic yard bags
Because of traffic flow problems, residents on Eleven Mile & Greenfield may only rake leaves into windrows, between the sidewalk and the street, as close to the street as possible, on the following three days only.
2012 dates are:
- Monday, November 5
- Monday, December 3
Please mark these dates on your calendar. Leaves must be out by 7:00 am on these dates to ensure pick-up. You may also put them out in paper yard waste bags on your garbage day.
Eleven Mile & Greenfield residents: Do not rake leaves into the street!