Oxford/Merchants Park Plan
We Want Your Suggestions!
We are building a new park at the former Oxford/Merchants Park site, located at 2100 Bacon, and we are inviting YOU to help us suggest names for consideration.
Park Name Guidelines:
- You MUST be a resident, community member, or business owner of Berkley, Michigan to participate
- Anyone kindergarten and up can participate
- You must complete all of the entry/submission instructions on the form
- You have to state the WHY behind the name
- The name can reflect natural or cultural features associated with the new park or the surrounding area
- The name can represent historical events or elements associated with the park or surrounding area
- The name can reflect abutting street names
- No inappropriate language, names, or slanderous material
- No names after an individual
To make a Park Name suggestion or visit berkleymich.org/parkcontest.
Park Naming Process:
We are encouraging the community to submit their ideas for a new park name. The winning name will be chosen through a two-stage voting process.
The first round will be an open submission process. Those names will be reviewed by the Park Naming Committee* who will narrow that list based on the guidelines listed above.
The second round will be a compilation of the submitted names narrowed down to the top five to ten. The final selection will be submitted to the Mayor and City Council for the final determination.
* The Park Naming Committee is made up of Parks and Recreation staff, the City Manager, and the Parks & Rec Advisory Board.
Bench Donations Needed!
We are inviting individuals, groups, or businesses to donate funds for new benches in the park.
Any individual or group that donates will have a plaque inscription on the bench.
Cost for Bench:
- $440 per bench
- Final donations are needed by April 23 (this is to ensure plaque inscriptions are made promptly for the opening of the park)
Contact Parks & Recreation at 248-658-3470 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Park:
The City of Berkley purchased three acres of property known as Oxford Park in 2014 from the Berkley School District. In 2016, the Parks & Recreation Department hired Native Edge, LLC to help develop a master plan for the property. Public input from resident focus groups and surrounding stakeholders played a significant role in developing the final plan.
In 2020, the City broke ground for the development of the park. The new park and its 6.7 acres will feature the installation of restroom facilities, a splash pad, play structures, walking paths to the recreational amenities, and much more.
The City received a federal grant in the amount of $180,000 to develop a splash pad area and other amenities at Oxford/Merchants Park. The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) grant, together with $180,000 in matching funds from the City, will help provide the following elements:
- Approximately 1,600 square-foot natural splash pad area
- Six-foot asphalt walkways connecting the park to the surrounding sidewalks
- Universally designed family restrooms
The LWCF is a federal program administered by the United States Department of Interior’s National Park Service and implemented locally by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. The final approval process for the grant is expected to take approximately 4-6 months to complete.
Questions or Inquiries?
Contact the Parks & Recreation Department at 248-658-3470 or email email@example.com.