Your Berkley, Your Vote

Municipal Infrastructure Improvements

The November 6, 2018 ballot includes two funding proposals for residents to consider. The first proposal is a charter amendment requesting 2 mills for city infrastructure improvements. It would raise $1.14 million each year for the next 10 years. If approved, the funds would be dedicated to city roads, water mains, and emergency sewer repairs. The second is a $15.37 million bond proposal to build a 38,000 square foot energy efficient Community Center. If approved, the bond will be paid off over the next 20 years.

The Need

Berkley’s infrastructure is showing its age. Only 30% of Berkley streets are rated in good condition. The remaining 70% of local roads need some type of maintenance or repair. A minimal number of roads have been reconstructed or rehabilitated in the last 10 years. Some of Berkley’s water mains have been in place for close to 100 years and need to be replaced.

 The Community Center, built in 1973, has outlived its useful life. The foundation of the current facility has shifted, causing the walls to crack. The heating and cooling systems are not energy efficient. Operational and maintenance costs have increased over the years. The ceiling height is inadequate for teen and adult indoor leagues. The parking lot needs replacement.

The Plan

  • Provide sustainable funds to be used for capital infrastructure improvements for 10 years.
  • Implement appropriate strategies and corresponding projects to improve city infrastructure.
  • Design and construct a 38,000 square foot, energy efficient Community Center by 2020. 
  • Develop and implement a wide variety of recreation and leisure programs in the newly constructed building for residents of all ages.  

The Benefit

  • Smoother roads and reliable city infrastructure. 
  • Ability to plan, implement and fund capital improvement projects for roads, streets, water, sewer and other related infrastructure needs.  
  • Larger energy-efficient Community Center and expanded programs. 
  • Ability to offer adult leagues, pre-school classes and dedicate space for teens and senior citizens.     

Millage vs Bond
What is the difference?

Mill v bond


Berkley Property - Taxable 
How will the millage and bond proposal impact property owners?

Tax Valu 2





STAY UP TO DATE

eNews Signup