The City Manager is the Chief Administrative Officer for the city. The Manager supervises and manages city departments, as well as performs other operational duties.
Meet Your City Manager
Appointed on August 20, 2001 by the Berkley City Council, Jane Bais-DiSessa is the 14th City Manager for the City of Berkley, Michigan. A native Texan, Jane received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and Master of Science degree in Public Administration from St. Mary’s University in San Antonio, Texas.
Her career as a Public Administrator has taken her to Texas and Michigan, where she has worked for a total of six cities, and has held the position of City Manager for three of those communities. Having worked with both large and small municipalities, her job experience is diverse, and has worked in all areas associated with the provision of public service.
Currently, Jane is a Board member and former Chairperson for the Southeastern Oakland County Resource Recovery Authority (SOCRRA). Consisting of twelve member cities, SOCRRA is one of the largest solid waste authorities in southeast Michigan. Jane also serves as Secretary to the Berkley Downtown Development Authority (DDA) Board of Trustees.
Since June 2006, Jane has been recognized by the International City/County Management Association (ICMA) as a Credentialed Manager. She is active in the following international, state and local professional organizations:
- Michigan Local Government Managers Association (MLGMA), Board Member 2000-2003, Members-In Transition 2006-2008, and Strategic Planning Committee current member;
- Michigan Municipal League (MML), Economic Development Committee;
- International City/County Manager’s Association (ICMA), Mid-West Region Vice-President 2003-2006; Board Membership Committee Chair 2006, Annual Conference Evaluation Committee Chair 2007, and Conference Committee Member 2007-2008;
- International Hispanic Network (IHN), Board Member 2007 to 2008, President 2008-2009;
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG), Alternate Delegate;
- Michigan Suburbs Alliance, Alternate Delegate; and
- Oakland County Managers' Association, member since 1998.