Berkley’s City Attorney holds an important department role providing assistance in labor relations, arbitration matters and risk management, as well as providing legal advice and preparation and certification of contracts, bonds and other documents.
Meet Your City Attorney
John D. Staran graduated from the University of Michigan-Dearborn in 1980 and the University of Notre Dame Law School in 1983. John was appointed the City Attorney for the City of Berkley in April, 2013.
Alongside this role, John is Co-Founder and Prinicipal of Hafeli Staran Hallahan & Christ, P.C. in Bloomfield Hills.
John specializes in local government, land use and zoning, real estate, property taxation, historic preservation, construction, business transactions and environmental law, and general civil practice, with special expertise in representing and advising local governments and public officials, boards, and commissions.
The City Attorney for the City of Berkley responsibilities include:
- Preparing for and attending bi-monthly City Council Meetings.
- Consulting with the City Council or Manager at their request.
- Preparing or officially passing upon all contracts, bonds and other instruments in writing, and certifying before execution as to their legality and correctness of form.
- Preparing legal opinions on issues as they arise.
- Assisting in labor relations, grievance arbitration matters and risk management affairs.
- Giving legal advice in sale of City property, street and alley vacations, easements, lot splits and special assessments, District Court prosecutions, Write complaints.
- Filing with the District and Circuit Courts to enforce zoning and code ordinances, Ordinance and Resolution preparations.