Anyone wishing to rent out a store, office, apartment, or house must register as a landlord and have the structure inspected and approved for occupancy on a biennial basis.
After receipt of the application and fees, an appointment must be made. Once the property is inspected and approved, the Building Official will issue a certificate of compliance.
Click here for a printable copy of the Rental Inspection Checklist.
Rental properties are inspected to ensure the following.
These are only examples and are not all-inclusive. Inspectors following the National Property Maintenance Code.
- Does the structure have adequate and safe electrical service?
- Is the plumbing in good repair?
- Is the heating system in safe working order? If the heating unit is more than 5 years old it must be inspected by a professional.
- Is the chimney in good repair?
- Are the walls/ceiling, floors and floor coverings in good condition without cracks or holes?
- Are there storm windows and screens in all window frames? Are window frames rotted, unpainted, in disrepair?
- Are there any missing, broken or cracked windows? Do windows need caulking?
- Are there screen/storm doors on the front and rear of the rental units? Are solid entrance doors in good condition with proper security locks?
- Are all of porches, steps, skirting of the house and other wood on the exterior rotted, in disrepair? Or in need of paint? Are railings secured? Does the roof leak?
- Are the rain pipes in good repair?
- Is the structure free of roaches and rodents?
- Is the garage or shed rotted, open, filled with debris, in need of roofing or paint?
- Are the surrounding grounds free of trash, abandoned vehicles, vehicle parts and overgrown weeds and grass?
- Are fences and gates in good condition and working order?
- Are sidewalks surrounding the property in good shape and not a danger to walk over?
- Is there wood and miscellaneous trash stored under the structure, in the basement, in the attic, or in the garage creating a rodent haven and health hazard?
- Are there sufficient trash containers?
- Is there a smoke detector in each residential unit of the dwelling? Is there a minimum of one smoke detector per floor? Is there one smoke detector in each bedroom?