Park Naming Contest
We are building a new park at the former Oxford/Merchants Park site, located at 2100 Bacon, and we are inviting YOU to help us suggest names for consideration.
Park Name Guidelines:
- You MUST be a resident, community member, or business owner of Berkley, Michigan to participate
- Anyone kindergarten and up can participate
- You must complete all of the entry/submission instructions on the form
- You have to state the WHY behind the name
- The name can reflect natural or cultural features associated with the new park or the surrounding area
- The name can represent historical events or elements associated with the park or surrounding area
- The name can reflect abutting street names
- No inappropriate language, names, or slanderous material
- No names after an individual
To make a Park Name suggestion or visit berkleymich.org/parkcontest.
Park Naming Process:
We are encouraging the community to submit their ideas for a new park name. The winning name will be chosen through a two-stage voting process.
The first round will be an open submission process. Those names will be reviewed by the Park Naming Committee* who will narrow that list based on the guidelines listed above.
The second round will be a compilation of the submitted names narrowed down to the top five to ten. The final selection will be submitted to the Mayor and City Council for the final determination.
* The Park Naming Committee is made up of Parks and Recreation staff, the City Manager, and the Parks & Rec Advisory Board.
Bench Donations Needed!
We are inviting individuals, groups, or businesses to donate funds for new benches in the park.
Any individual or group that donates will have a plaque inscription on the bench.
Cost for Bench:
- $440 per bench
- Final donations are needed by April 23 (this is to ensure plaque inscriptions are made promptly for the opening of the park)
Contact Parks & Recreation at 248-658-3470 or email email@example.com.